2020 Economic Summit
We welcome you to join us for the 2020 Economic Summit presented by the Tompkins Chamber and Tompkins County Area Development, with a special guest keynote speaker Russell S. Weaver, PhD. Russell is an Economic Geographer, Senior Extension Associate, in the Cornell university ILR Buffalo Co-Lab and brings a wealth of knowledge and data on revitalization in Upstate NY.
The Annual Economic Summit provides a snapshot of the local economy, highlighting the recent projects and accomplishments of our local business community and economic development.
The event will present the key local issues and policy affecting the business community as well as forecasts challenges and opportunities for business and job growth in Tompkins County.
Due to popular demand and our Economic Summit selling out previous years, The Chamber will be hosting additional morning break out sessions around four key topics specific to Tompkins County's economic landscape.
A Q&A session will be made available.
Special presentations by:
Heather McDaniel, CEcD, AICP, EDFP
Tompkins County Area Development (TCAD)
Jennifer Tavares, CEcD, EDFP
President & CEO
The Morning Sessions will Include the Following Topics:
Perspectives on the Tourism Economy & Visitor Profile - 9:00 am - 10:15 am
- Peggy Coleman, VP of Tourism, Tompkins Chamber / Visit Ithaca - Peggy will showcase data from the recently completed Visitor Profile Study and share tourism-economy related updates including on the Conference Center project.
- Dan Smalls, President, DSP Shows - Dan will talk about how DSP Shows attracts customers and visitors, and how the tourism economy intersects with his business and the impacts the arts.
Benchmarks and Projections on Housing and Development - 9:00 am - 10:15 am
- Jennifer Tavares, President & CEO, Tompkins Chamber - Jennifer will present data and highlights from a recent study commissioned by the Park Foundation, Community Foundation, and Chamber Foundation to assess housing development outcomes and solutions do develop income-appropriate housing in Tompkins County.
- David West, Senior Planner, Tompkins County - David will share a snapshot reviewing 2018 housing-related data and identify key takeaways.
Barriers & Successes in Workforce Development and Attraction - 10:30 am - 11:45 am
- Julia Mattick, Director, Tompkins County Workforce Development Board - Julia will present data contextualizing demographics and recent workforce trends. She will share information on predictions workforce size, gaps in available workforce, the aging population, and sector-based growth.
- Sue Dale-Hall, CEO, Child Development Council - Sue will share how access to quality, affordable child care is a key issue for workforce development and one that impacts most employers in Tompkins County. She will give an update on recent efforts that have been undertaken by the CDC and other community partners.
- Dominick Recckio, Director of Strategic Communications and Partnerships, Tompkins Chamber - Dominick will share data from the first year of the Live in Ithaca initiative, focusing on how attraction-marketing is driving people to consider Ithaca & Tompkins County as a great place to live and work.
Ithaca Green New Deal and Green Building Policy & Their Impact on Local Businesses and Developments - 10:30 am - 11:45 am
- Nick Goldsmith, Sustainability Coordinator, City of Ithaca - Nick will share how the City of Ithaca will work to achieve carbon-neutrality community-wide by 2030 through policies including the Green New Deal and the Green Building Policy.
- A discussion between Nick and local business owners will be moderated by Tom Knipe, Deputy Director of Economic Development, City of Ithaca